background

My Stowaway

Monday, September 13, 2010

Today was definitely a Monday, if you know what I mean. I had to work 12 hours and i had 7 patients (normally only have 5). Plus I had 2 orientee's and 3 nursing students following me, 4 patients to discharge, and 3 to admit. Anyway after work, the last thing on my mind was cooking dinner, so I went to the Chick-Fil-A in Temple, TX for a yummy chicken wrap. And this is where my story begins.

Minding my own business in the drive through line, I see a tiny creature pop it's head over the top of my driver's side mirror. It crawled it's way up over the top, hung down upside down, and gave itself a good once-over. It looked somewhat confused as it was looking at itself in the mirror. By the way, the creature was a spider. I'm pretty sure it was a mixed breed between the spider that bit Spiderman and a mini tarantula. It was hairy, looked just like a tarantula except it had a red back with a blue circle around it. Once I got up to the window to get the chicken wrap and sweet tea, the spider was still there...just chilling out on my mirror! I was NOT about to open my window and let the thing in, so I opened my door to get the food and go! It was a good spider and didn't try to get in the car. I thought surely the spider would fall off when I started driving. It didn't. Then I thought maybe once I got on the highway going 70mph it would fall off. Nope. It hung on for dear life on I35. All the way from Temple to Waco. It was still on my mirror when I pulled into the driveway at home!

I had some mixed feelings about this "little spider that could". I'm very glad that he didn't fall off on the highway because there isn't much food on I35. I love the strong will of this spider to hang on for a 40 mile drive going 70 mph, in the company of some of the worst truck drivers I have ever shared the road with. BUT then I remember that this crazy strong mutant spider lives in my front yard now. I didn't mind giving the spider a free ride, but I certainly will NOT welcome the thing into our house!

I know what you're thinking....I better copyright that before someone steals my story because it was so great. But really, it was kind of a cool little story to me!

0 comments:

My Blog List